This post lists 15 ideas for finding cheap hotels and other accommodations for your trip to NYC. You might think that finding cheap hotels in New York City can be nearly impossible. However, believe it or not, it’s possible to find great New York budget accommodation in a comfortable, clean room in a prime location. Check out our lists of tips to help you find an affordable place to stay during your next trip to NYC. And if you are planning on exploring the city, be sure to check out our pay-what-you-wish walking tours.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Take advantage of TripAdvsior, which allows users to narrow down their price and location preferences, in addition to reading reviews of each lodging facility. These are reviewed by travelers who have used Tripadvisor service. Customers will rate the hotels and give their reviews.
2. Bringing us to our next point… consider buying a trip package! Often times when you buy airfare, accommodation, and activities as a bundle, the cost for each is much lower!
3. Consider Couch Surfing! You simply must create a profile and then contact potential hosts that will put you up overnight (on the couch) or as long as agreed to. Both host and travelers can write a review so that other travelers can choose where to stay. Excellent budget minded way to travel, especially for those traveling solo! And an added perk is that hosts can offer guests an insider’s perspective on life in the Big Apple.
4. Think like the Europeans do! Budget accommodation has been a staple across cities in Europe for decades. Eurocheapo is a site that helps travelers find cheap hotels in Europe, and, recently, New York City and San Francisco! Eurocheapo has an office in NYC, and they send their editors unannounced to thoroughly inspect the rooms and pass their recommendation onto the customers. Just enter your travel dates in the search box and Eurocheapo will have a list of affordable hotel rooms from which you can choose.
5. Opt for a hostel rather than a hotel. Many Americans have a skewed perception of hostels due to outrageous Hollywood films and their lack of popularity here in the States. However, the number of hostels in the US is rapidly growing. Guests who stay in a hostel in NYC spend an average of $32 per night, while guests who stay in a hotel spend an average of $290! Imagine how many additional tours you could take with that savings! Also, though most people think of hostels as being dormitories, most are very clean and offer the option of a private or single sex room. This is a list of some of our favorite hostels in New York City.
6. Utilize discount websites such as Living Social. Both offer significant deals on New York City hotels, as well as trip packages.
7. Turn to local guidebooks. Timeout New York offers a guide to cheap accommodations that includes stylish new hotels and very hip hostels. Ratings and reviews are on both accommodations and price.
8. Stay in a bed and breakfast. Bed and Breakfast.com is a site that allows users to browse for affordable b&b’s that are located near many of New York City’s great attractions. Many of these accommodations can be found near our popular walking tours in Harlem, near Central Park, Midtown Manhattan or Lower Manhattan.
9. Do a temporary rental through the property owner. Sites such as Airbnb and VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) offers renters many options that can be directly discussed with the owner of the room or apartment. Accommodations in New York City runs from about $60 a night to $200. This really is a good option if you prefer a private room or would like to share a home, right in the heart of the city.
10. Roomorama is another great tool for finding accommodation. This website offers you various options that range from under $50 to over $200. You choose your amenities and book either an apartment, hotel, B&B, hostel or a house. WiFi is free in all the accommodation.
11. Consider housesitting in exchange! If you want to come to NYC and really don’t want to spend the money on hotels, this could be an option for you. Many single or family home/apartment owners are looking for house sitters to take care of home and pets. Trusted Housesitters (US) is a site that connects people who are looking either for or to house-sit. It’s a great way to see NYC in a leisurely way and you get to enjoy the amenities that are offered in the home. A great money-saving way to travel for a single or family. They also offer our guests 10% membership when you use FREETOURS10 at checkout.
12. Join a loyalty program! There are many hotel chains that offer steep discounts to those who are members of their loyalty program.
13. Never be afraid to ask about a discount. Often times hotels will offer lower rates to those who are educators, military personnel, students, or return guests.
14. Though usually targeted toward budget travelers who are willing to work on a farm or doing construction in exchange for free food and accommodation, Workaway also operates in NYC. Guests are usually asked to feed pets or do dishes (as farming is obviously not an option!) in exchange for a couple night’s stay in New York City!
15. However, our biggest suggestion for finding cheap accommodation in New York City? Go in the off season! Nearly all types of accommodation are cheaper in the off season simply because the demand for rooms is much less. When is the off season? Winter months, though not near the holidays.
++Have a great stay in New York! Once you find your special place, it’s time to see the Big Apple with Free Tours by Foot!++