Charleston Architecture Tour
Charleston was America’s wealthiest colony and its residents bragged about their wealth in many ways, even through their homes and public buildings. Free Tours By Foot’s Charleston Architecture Tour highlights Charleston’s history written in wood and brick. Wealthy Charlestonians traveled the world and brought back with them a desire to emulate the opulence they found abroad, the result is a city that boasts every style of architecture from Georgian to Art Deco.
Join Free Tours by Foot on this unique and exciting walking tour and learn about Charleston, its people, its history and its triumphs on our Charleston Architecture Tour. Every street, corner and alley in downtown Charleston will please your eye. Every era of architecture that has influenced the United States of America has influenced this great city.
Sights and styles covered on this tour:
•St. Phillips Church ( c.1835)
• French ” Huguenot” Church (c.1845)
• Dock Street Theater (c.1807-1855)
* History of slave-made brick
* Visit indoors to see theater & historic interior decoration ( weekdays only )
• Heyward-Washington House (c.1770)
* Georgian-Colonial “Double House”
• Nathaniel Russell House (c.1808)
* Neo-Classical Townhouse
• Miles Brewton House (c.1767-69)
* Finest example of a Georgian Colonial Townhouse in North America
• Simmons-Edwards House (c.1803)
* World famous “Pineapple Gate”
• Historic Broad Street
* “Four-Corners of Law”
• St. Michaels Church (c.1750-61)
• Fireproof Building & Washington Park
* Americas first “fireproof” building
For a more general tour that incorporates aspects of architecture, be sure to visit our Historic Charleston Walking Tour page.
Reservations: REQUIRED. Groups of 6 or more must contact us before booking.
Duration: Approximately 2 hours. Tour distance is approximately 1.5 miles (2k)
When: View Our Full Charleston Tour Calendar.
Where: Tour meets at the SE corner of Church Street and Linguard Street, next to Tommy Condon’s Restaurant. MAP Look for your guide in orange!
Cost: This tour is free to take, and you get to decide what, if anything, the tour was worth when it’s done. A name-your-own-price tour is a tour for anyone’s budget.
Though our tours work on a pay-what-you-like basis, we must charge $1 upfront cost per ticket to cover the tour tax that the City of Charleston imposes per participants on any tour within the city plus the administrative fees to handle.