East Village Food Tour
The East Village boasts more restaurants per capita than almost anywhere else in the world. With an ethnically diverse community, one can find virtually every type of cuisine here. Its unrivaled food is served up with a large side order of history and culture that includes the Dutch years of early New York to the era of Kleindeutschland, when German immigrants dominated the area; from the counter-culture scene of the 1950s and ‘60s to the punk rock explosion of the 1970s.
We’ll savor a delicious array of cuisines and flavors including:
- Ukrainian Pierogies
- Vegan Empanadas
- Truffle-Milk Bar
- Fresh Baked Deserts
And don’t worry – we’ll walk off the calories as we visit these historic and cultural sites:
- Cooper Union, one of the oldest educational institutions in the United States, where Abraham Lincoln gave his historic 1860 “right makes might” speech
- McSorley’s Old Ale House, where Abraham Lincoln had a drink to calm his nerves before his famous speech at Cooper Union
- Saint Marks Place, famous for its eclectic scene of shops, restaurants and cultural history
- The Mosaic Trail – National Geographic calls it a “top destination” in New York City
- The 1831 Hamilton-Holly House, a Registered Landmark
- The Deutsch-Amerikanische Schuetzen Gesellschaft building
- Site of the former Fillmore East, where dozens of 1960s rock legends such as Jimi Hendrix, The Who, and Led Zeppelin played
- St. Mark’s Lutheran Church built in 1847, whose history includes the tragic General Slocum disaster of 1904
- Trash and Vaudeville, a New York fashion legend, supplying punk rockers with studded collars and pink hair dye for decades
- and more!
So come join Free Tours By Foot on a feast of worldly flavors and worthy historic locales!
At the food stops, you will choose what treats you would like to sample (or eat in whole). Try them all or none at all. Unlike other tours that charge around $50 with some excluding food, on this tour, YOU choose what to eat and how much to spend. All recommended items are less than $4. Suggested amount to bring for snacks is $7-10, depending on your appetite! Vegetarian and vegan options available at several shops.
Duration: Approximately 2 hours. Tour distance is approximately 1 mile (1.6K)
When: @1pm Fridays. View our Calendar
Cost: This tour is free to take, and you get to decide what, if anything, the tour was worth when it’s done. A name-your-own-price tour is a tour for anyone’s budget. Suggested amount to bring for snacks is $7-10, depending on your appetite.