New York Night Tours
New York is a skyscraper city and there is no better time to view Manhattan’s icons than after the sun sets and the lights go on. Fueled by competition and a dash of audacity, New York City is still producing one of mankind’s most remarkable skyline.
We offer many different pay-what-you-like New York night tours. The contrast of experiences by day vs. by night means that you should consider taking both the day and night versions of the same tour. Not all tours run daily, so we recommend that you take a look at our full calendar to see which tours are offered during your time in New York. You might want to take a read on our suggested places to take in the New York skyline.
If you are thinking about getting a tourist pass in order to save money on tours and attractions, keep in mind that the passes also include night bus, boat and helicopter tours. Check out our blog posts comparing the different New York City tourist passes.
- Midtown Manhattan Night Tour – consider this tour in order to take some of Manhattan’s most iconic buildings, such as the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Rockefeller Center, the Flatiron Building and Grand Central Terminal.
- 911 Memorial and Brooklyn Bridge Night Tour – consider this tour to view the National September 11th Memorial, the Woolworth Building, City Hall and the Brooklyn Bridge all bathed in manufactured moonlight.
- Ghost and Dark Side Tours – nighttime is a scary time in the Village as we tap into the spirits of the past on both our Greenwich Village and Brooklyn Bridge Ghost Tours and the Dark Side of the High Line Tour.
- Private Walking Tour – prefer to take one of our many daytime walking tours at night? Request a private tour! All of our tours are available for groups or families as private tours for a predetermined fee.
- New York Pub Crawl – While we don’t currently offer a pub crawl, there are a number of other New York Night Life tours available through other companies. Check out our list of recommended tours at Best Pub Crawls and Bar Tours in New York City
- Sunset on the High Line — in addition to our Dark Side of the High Line tour, we offer a sunset tour of the park, which focuses more on the history of Chelsea.
- Central Park — we have a number of different Central Park tours, including one just as the sun is setting. Don’t forget your camera as there are many photo ops!
Occasionally, we offer our fully guided hop-on, hop-off, pay-what-you-wish night bus tour. Please check our calendar to see if our bus tour is offered during your time in New York. Below are some other bus tour companies that offer evening tours. Be sure to check out our full comparison bus tour page.
Big Bus offers a fully guided night tour of Manhattan that crosses the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn for spectacular views. The tour is in English and there is no audio in any other language. The tours last 2 hours and depart from 48th Street and 7th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan. THIS IS NOT A HOP-ON, HOP-OFF tour, but it is on a open top bus.
The departure times are:
- 7:00 pm
- 7:30 pm
- 8:00 pm
- 8:30 pm
- 9:00 pm
The cost is $35 per adult and $25 per child. Purchase tickets here.
The night tour is included as a part of Big Bus’s Deluxe 2 Day Ticket (starting at $57/adult + $47/child), which includes 2 days of hop-on, hop-off bus tours through all of Manhattan + plus a Brooklyn loop and a 1 hour boat cruise. It is also included as a part of their Big Apple 3 Day Ticket (starting at $74/adult + $54/child), which includes 3 days of hop-on, hop-off bus tours through all of Manhattan + plus a Brooklyn loop, a 1 hour boat cruise, free entry & breakfast to the Museum of the City of New York
Additional Night Bus Tours
- Trusted Tours – a 3 hour tour of the city lights of Manhattan. Not a standard hop-on, hop-off tour, though guests are encouraged to get off at the major sites. Snacks are provided on board.
- City Sights/Gray Line/CitySightseeing – City Sights offers standard, 2 hour, tours that depart every 15-30 minutes until 7:30pm. Tickets can be purchased at a discounted rate with the New York Pass.
The New York City skyline is beautiful at all hours, but it’s especially nice when lit up at night. Remember, this is the city that never sleeps, so a night cruise is a great way to see New York really come alive after dark! Be sure to read our comparison post on New York boat tours.
There are both evening and dinner cruises available.
- CitySightSeeing – 90 minute twilight cruise.
- $29/Adult, $18/Child
- Daily at 7:30 PM (June 17th – September 18th)
- Daily at 6:00 PM (September 19th – December 30th)
- Water Taxi – 60 min Statue by Night Tour. Highlights include on complimentary glass of champagne for adults and a cash bar. Adults $31, children $19. Use promo code FTBF for $5 off each ticket. It is included for free with a the Explorer Pass. It is not available with the other tourist passes. Cruises depart at 7:30 pm (19:30) from Pier 16/South Street Seaport (map).
- Circle Line — This company also offers a Harbor Lights Cruise which departs just before sunset so you can enjoy the skyline while the sun goes down!
- Spirit Cruises — Offers both New York and New Jersey evening cruises with a buffet dinner and music.
- Yacht Party Cruises — If the idea of a lengthy, formal dinner on a boat cruise does not appeal to you, consider trying out the Yacht Party Cruise! The upside is that the entire cruise is DJ’d; the downside is that food and drink is not included in the $65 price tag, though both are available for purchase on board.
- Hornblower Cruises — Departs from Pier 40 in the West Village and Pier 15 at the South Street Seaport. They also offer special holiday cruises.
- World Yacht — Departs from Pier 81. This dinner cruises serves a 4 course meal, and also offers brunch and holiday cruises.
We would love to offer pay-what-you-like helicopter tours of New York City, but obviously that isn’t possible. As mentioned above, the New York tourist passes all include some helicopter tours.
There are 3 main companies that offer helicopter tours. None offer public night tours, but do offer late afternoon tours. Check out our post on different helicopter tours of New York for a review of each.
- HeliNY Tours / Helicopter Flight Service Helicopter Tours
- New York Helicopter
- Liberty Helicopter Tours
The best way to purchase discounted helicopter tour tickets is through a third party site such as Groupon, Travel Zoo, or Living Social. There are almost daily deals for significantly lower prices. Also, if you are considering getting the New York Explorer Pass, the Liberty Helicopter Tour (see below) is already included at 20% off. The New York Pass offers 15% on the Big Apple Tours.
It’s time to celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah and the New Year as Midtown Manhattan lights up like no other place in the world! Mechanical window displays, synchronized light and sound shows, not to mention Santa Claus and toy soldiers surely await you in this winter wonderland.